Skin

Monday 21 October 2013

Falling for You: Practice Makes Perfect

After everybody finished getting ready, we all piled into my car and headed for our rehearsal. After a quick pit stop to pick up MOH Long Legs, we got stuck in pretty major traffic, so by the time we finally made it to the church, we were about ten minutes late. Our car was quickly overrun by about fifty excited Cubans, like a scene from a bad zombie movie. Needless to say, the stress was giving me a pretty big ulcer at this point. After a few more minutes, we finally managed to herd everyone inside; the priest did not look amused. The Waterfalls, however, looked ecstatic!
 
I've mentioned before that Mr. Waterfall and I are the first to get married within our group of friends. Since none of our bridal party had been a part of a wedding before, much less a catholic one, we knew that the rehearsal would be all the more crucial in ensuring smooth sailing during the ceremony. We practiced "giving me away" and walked through the ceremony in what seemed like the quickest rehearsal known to man.
The readers read, the groomsmen groomed, and the bridesmaids fanned themselves because it was sweltering hot in the church, as predicted by the coordinator nun months before.
MOH Long Legs and BM Green Eyes try to cool off
Despite the heat, everyone was in good spirits and the excitement was palpable. It also felt so strange to have all three of my bridesmaids under one roof for the first time since being engaged -- actually, for the first time in like seventeen years!

BM Tiny, MOH Long Legs and BM Green Eyes

I was also extremely happy to learn that our priest had agreed to incorporate our personalized touches after all. This is my happy excited face. Incidentally, it also sort of looks like I'm about to eat my rehearsal bouquet, which I threw together five minutes before leaving the house using the bows from my bridal shower.
 
Our priest also asked us to read through the Civil Code articles on marriage and state weather we would like them read out loud during the ceremony or during the rehearsal (of course, we chose the latter) and whether we agreed to them.
 
After the ceremony run-through, our priest rushed off to the other rehearsal. Since we still had the space, we decided to stay a little longer and practice the processional a few more times, especially for the benefit of the little ones, who looked absolutely terrified. Our church coordinator, Angelique, was extremely helpful and patient, and she did a wonderful job getting everybody  organized. I did notice that the processional order was slightly different from what I had seen before, but decided to let it go because it really wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. As a side note, I highly recommend having somebody to run the rehearsal and orchestrate the processional on your wedding day, whether it be a DOC, a venue coordinator, or a friend. We were lucky enough to have coordinators at our church as well as our reception space, and it took a huge weight off my shoulders. See? Look how relaxed I look!
This picture is very strange because I honestly cannot remember sitting down once during the entire rehearsal!
Once we were adequately satisfied that everybody knew what they were supposed to do during the ceremony, we called it a day and made our way over to our rehearsal dinner!
 
Did you have a long, detailed rehearsal, or a quickie like me?
* All photos personal, courtesy of BM Tiny and BM Green Eyes
 
Miss a recap?

No comments:

Post a Comment