Skin

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Falling For You: The Bride Wears Vera

While the men got ready, the girls were putting the finishing touches on their looks and drinking champagne.
If you're very observant, you may have noticed by now that one of my bridesmaids was missing-- and you would be correct! BM Tiny had booked a hair appointment at a hair salon all the way across town and got caught in some serious traffic. I decided to hold off on getting dressed for as long as I could, hoping she would make it in time. She finally arrived about thirty minutes before we were set to leave, terrified that I would be livid, but I just was too damn happy to care (the champagne might have definitely helped with this).
After BM Tiny got dressed, it was finally time for me to put on my dream wedding gown, White by Vera Wang style VW351112 from David's Bridal.
I carefully climbed up and took the dress down from the windowsill where it had been perched...
And started to slip it on with the help of my bridesmaids. Since I had a poofy crinoline, we had no choice but to put the dress on over my head, trying not to mess up my hair in the process.
Real talk: I know a lot of brides worry about modesty and getting dressed in front of a bunch of strangers. Personally, I totally get this because I'm super shy-- in high school, I refused to get changed in front of the other girls in the locker room, so I got dressed in the toilet stalls instead. My dress actually had a built-in corset, so I didn't need to wear a longline bra with it. My solution was to wear a camisole (pictured above) and little shorts underneath my silk robe, which I promptly slipped off once I was in the dress. This allowed me to get some awesome getting in the dress pictures while not having to worry about flashing anyone!
While my bridesmaids zipped me up, I said a little prayer for my dress to fit...little did I know that it was actually a little too loose since my illness had caused me to lose an additional five pounds the week before the wedding. At my last fitting, the boning from the corset was pushing down on the scars from my liver biopsy, so I decided not to have it taken in any further, but the weight of the dress gradually dragged it down, and by the end of the night, I was rocking some pretty major cleave!  While we're on the subject, I did remember to keep my hands at my waist, not on my boobs, as Mrs. Mink so astutely suggested.

My bridesmaids fussed over my dress...
And helped me put on my crystal sash, from David's Bridal. My dress actually came with a different fabric belt, but I much preferred the little bit of bling that the crystal sash added to the ensemble.
 I spritzed on my signature scent, Lovely.
Put on my garter...
And my amazing cobalt blue shoes, dyed to match the bridesmaids' dresses.
 
There was only one final touch to turn me into a bride, my veil!
 
Were any of your bridesmaids late? How did you take it?
 
All photos courtesy of the amazing Bachmann Photography unless otherwise specified.
 
Miss a recap?

No comments:

Post a Comment