Skin

Saturday 10 November 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Picking our date

In picking our wedding date, we were fairly open-minded. 

We knew we were looking at a longer engagement because I had just started a one year master's degree in Common Law, which wouldn't leave a lot of time for wedding planning. Another reason was allowing more time for saving up, and staying ahead of the game for booking vendors. 
 
As far as the actual date goes, the only things we knew for sure were that we wanted a Saturday wedding and nice weather.  Our anniversary was instantly eliminated for both of these reasons, since it falls in late September when the weather tends to be very unpredictable.  

Then we thought: Why not get married on the anniversary of our first date

A quick look at the calendar revealed July 26th to be a pesky Friday. No go. Bummer. But we figured we could always get married July 27th, 10 years and a day after our first date.

MOH Long Legs quickly pointed out how hot a late July wedding would be, and how utterly miserable and cranky I would be in a poofy wedding dress. 

Here's the thing, Bees. Even though I hail from a sunny island in the Caribbean, I positively hate the heat. It's true, I'm that person that's always too hot, the one who's always cranking the A/C. I'm happiest in mild temperatures, around 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit). Anything higher than that just makes me feel all sweaty and sticky, and makes my hair look like this:


Friends: Monica's hair in Barbados/ image via sharetv.org
I mean, seriously, who wants to look like that on their wedding day?!?!

But, I'm very stubborn and called the church anyways to book the date. And their reply was quite simply No
Last time, I told you guys that because the Chapel we're getting married in is the oldest in Montreal, it has certain restrictions for weddings. Well, as it turns out, they don't hold weddings in July. Like, at all. Not for us, not for anybody. If we wanted a summer wedding, it would have be either early June or late August.

The nun I was speaking to pointed out that a main reason they don't do weddings in the peak of summer is that the old-timey stained glass windows don't open, so the church gets insanely hot. "Trust me, she said, you don't wanna get married like that. Your guests will me miserable, and so will you".

After some back and forth between the nun and myself, we finally settled on June.

So, just like that, our wedding date was arbitrarely chosen by a nun who didn't know anything about us our relationship! And who cares if it wasn't meaningful? Getting married makes it pretty darn meaninful, don't you think? And we still get to celebrate all those other milestones ;)

But I'll be honest, I'm so glad she didn't budge on the no-July policy, despite my best lawyerly attempts to convince her otherwise! Now that Mr. Waterfall and I attended mass in July, we totally get it. It's like unbearably hot!

How did you decide your wedding date?

No comments:

Post a Comment