Skin

Thursday 25 October 2012

(Water)falling in love: The Proposal

"I'm not going to tell the story the way it happened. I'm going to tell i the way I remember it." - Great Expectations

We had gotten invited to his friends' wedding on our anniversary weekend. Since the location was about a 2hr drive away, we decided to get a nice hotel and celebrate our anniversary after the wedding. Before we left, he went to the store and purchased some spur of the moment Veuve Clicquot champagne and told me that we could open it when we got back to the hotel.

A part of me was really hoping he would pop the question, but thought it was best to check my expectations at the door, so I wouldn’t be upset all weekend when he didn’t propose. We arrived early and checked into the hotel, which was the next town over but a 10 minute drive to the wedding according to Google maps. Not wanting to drink and drive, we left the car at the hotel parking lot and decided to take a taxi for the short trip.

Mr. W and I at the wedding
The ceremony was beautiful and of course I cried through the whole thing (no surprise there, I sometimes cry during commercials). We enjoyed cocktail hour and made small talk during dinner, but I kept glancing at my watch, anxious to leave. Don’t get me wrong, I love weddings, but we had a cozy hotel room and some perfectly chilled champagne waiting for us! Thoughts of a proposal twirled in my mind and I quashed them like bugs

Every friend and acquaintance that we ran into all evening asked the same question: “When are you guys getting hitched?” or to Mr. Waterfall, “When are you gonna pop the question?”, Mr. W coolly replied that we weren’t in a hurry, which only made me more irritated. He later told me that every time I got up from the table to use the washroom or get a drink, he told the people at our table that he was planning on asking later that night, and to stop bringing it up. 

After a few dances, I was itching to head out when the bride announced the bouquet toss. "Couldn’t hurt my chances" I thought, and joined the throngs of single ladies with desperate eyes. I was way at the back and off to the side, so I figured my chances were pretty slim, especially since I never win anything. In what seemed like an eternity, the bride tossed the bouquet, which beach-ball-bounced over hundreds of fingers and finally landed on a table beside me. I froze, looked around, and decided to grab it. Pretty uneventful right? WRONG!

Bride Wars/ image via Too Many Weddings
A snotty teenaged girl sitting at the table where the bouquet had landed decided to forcefully take it from me after I was already holding it by the stem. With each tug, the bouquet lost petals and my determination grew! 

This was MY bouquet! This girl wasn’t even old enough to get married, and hadn’t even been standing with the rest. If I sound crazy, and I’m sure that I do, blame the bouquet logic. After one last tug, she let go and I walked away victorious … apparently having elbowed a small child in the process, which Mr. W still teases me about to this day. 

The kid was fine though, believe me, I checked. I will say, though, that his mom was not a fan of mine whatsoever. I later overheard her describe me as a crazed girl who climbed on top of the table and injured her son in the eye (all of which were grossly exaggerated btw).
Dramatization. Not actually me/ Image via Wink Photography/ Photography by Wink Photography
Yes you guys, I turned into one of those psycho bouquet girls, oh, the shame! And though my story is not nearly as embarassing as the picture above, I still blush every time Mr. Waterfall teases me about it.

Have you ever been involved in a bouquet toss that got a little out of hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment