Skin

Tuesday 23 October 2012

How I met your Waterfall

Kids, have I ever told you the story of how I met your Water(fall)?

Ok, so he's technically my Waterfall, not yours. But, how else was I supposed to make that super-cute-not-at-all-predictable-unbeliavably-cheesy HIMYM reference? Okayyyy?

Ok. Sit down, this may take a while...

Just kidding! :)

It was 10 years ago, and I was your average pimply faced, frizzy haired, pre-makeover-Anne-Hathaway-looking teenager. 


Anne Hathaway as Mia in the Primcess Diaries/ image via Vaughan Public Library Vortex
Well, I had just started College* at a brand new school and felt very alone. 

*College: weird, Quebec School System hybrid between the typical last year of highschool and first year of university or community college. Sort of a pre-university program. For instance, I was pre-med and then switched to pre-law.

Fast forward a few months to my 17th birthday. I was supposed to have lunch with my chubby lab partner (Cliched, I know), when this  loud, Harry Potter looking guy shows up and hugs her out of the blue. 

Now, clearly, I thought Harry had terrible manners because he not only crashed my birthday lunch, but proceeded to make things incredibly akward for me when he declared his supposedly undying love for my friend.

If you didn't already guess it, Mr. Potter actually turned out to be none other than Mr. Water! I would also like to add that it turns out he was NOT madly in love with my lab partner whatsoever, but simply thought it would be hilarious to freak her out by pretending that he was... Yup, that's Mr. W for ya, always the prankster!

After our crazy first encounter, we kept running into one another and eventually started to hang out and get to know each-other as friends. Oddly enough, one of the ways we first bonded was by giving eachother dating advice. It was like the blind leading the blind!
 
By the time Valentine's Day rolled around, we were both still single (I wonder why?) and decided to casually go see a movie, the way any two single friends would on the most comercially forced romantic holiday of the year. Well, imagine my suprise when Mr. Waterfall showed up at school with a teddy bear, a carnation and a card, and asked me to be his girlfriend, completely out of the blue and without any previous hint of even liking me as more than a friend! 

Ok, that was the short story. The long story is actually that Mr. Waterfall showed up at school with all that amazing stuff, but still played it off like we were just friends and this was totally a normal thing to be doing. I, of course, freaked and invited another friend to be the third wheel at the movies. Once the night ended and I thought I was home free, I logged onto MSN messenger (vintage, I know) where Mr. W professed his undying love and affection. 

It actually took us a few months to go on our first date, and a few more after that to officially become a couple. But there you have it kids, the story of how I met your Water(fall)! 

How did you meet your "one"?

No comments:

Post a Comment