Skin

Tuesday 30 October 2012

(Water)falling in love: The Proposal, Part Deux

When we left off, I was patiently (read: not at all insanely pouncing on bouquets and/or injuring small children in the eye) awaiting my proposal.

After a quick dance or two we finally headed out around midnight. At this point, the Disney princess in me couldn`t help but feel a little like Cinderella when my heel got caught in the grass and Mr. W had to bend down to retrieve my glass slipper shoe and put it on my foot. 

He called the pumpkin carriage cab company who informed us that it would be at least a half an hour. We decided to wait outside anyways in case we missed it. Being late September in Montreal, it was pretty nippy that late in the evening, especially right by the river where we were, but I had my boyfriend to keep me warm!

In the words of the wise Ingrid Michaelson: "And it`s cold outside, but I`m just fine. You are mine to keep warm".




After about 45 minutes in the cold in my strapless cocktail dress, the moment seemed a lot less magical and a lot more hypothermia. An HOUR passed and still no sign of any cab, we called back. Dispatch rudely answered that they were very busy and since we were out of their way they would only send a cab once they finished their run. We asked if there was an alternate cab company we could call and they laughed and said yeah, about five towns over. We were screwed!

At this point, all of our friends had left the wedding so we had no-one to take us home. As we froze, I kept imagining my car sitting idly in a parking lot 10 minutes away. I suggested hiking out there in the dark in my 4 inch heels and Mr. W laughed at how delirious I must be.

Finally, at 2 am, the bride and groom and their families were cleaning up the party and noticed us still standing out there. Mr. Waterfall talked to the groom and explained the situation. Knowing about the impending proposal, the groom quickly asked one of the bride’s brothers to drive us.

Poor Mr.W was in such a rotten mood that nothing was going according to his perfect plan, but I had managed to stay perfectly and uncharacteristically calm throughout the whole thing.

By the time we finally made it to the hotel, he had pretty much given up on the whole proposal idea. Then, magic happened. He was blowing on my hands to warm them up when I saw him glance at my naked ring finger. His brow furrowed, the way it does when he`s really serious about something, and I saw his eyes flicker with determination. He told me in his most business-like voice that the last 2 hours simply had never happened, and we wound back the imaginary clock in our minds. He reminisced about the last 8 years we spent together and told me he didn't want to be my boyfriend anymore. I'm not gonna lie, I legitimately thought I was about to be dumped!

Before I even knew what was happening, he got down on one knee and pulled out the ring I had “let him borrow” a few months before. I`ll be honest, I barely remember what words he used or what came after. I only remember being so emotional that I didn’t even answer him at first. I just sat there like an idiot, ugly crying, snot and everything!

After I managed to finally utter a yes, we cuddled with blankets and drank our champagne.

Here is the first picture of me as a newly engaged woman, posing with my bouquet and my ring, red puffy eyes and all/ personal photo
Somehow, this "un-perfect" proposal, with all the hitches along the way, turned into the most perfect, heartfelt proposal I could have wanted, and it`s what makes our proposal story one of my favorite stories to tell.

If my wedding turns out this un-perfect, I`m just fine with that!


Did you see your proposal coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment