Skin

Friday 2 November 2012

Search for the Church: The Prequel

Once Mr. Waterfall liked it and put a ring on it (Oh-oh-oh), I knew that it was time to find ourselves a church to get married in!

You see, growing up, I always knew I wanted a church wedding. Most little girls envision the dress, the veil or the flowers. The part I always pictured was that moment when the church doors would open to reveal me, a vision in tulle, on Papi Waterfall’s arm, a little something like this:

Image via Tim Halberg/ Photo by Tim Halberg 
You might think I`m being super traditional, but I`m actually the first person in my family to marry in a church in the last 50+ years!

GASP. Pause for dramatic effect.

Allow me to explain.

Both sets of my grandparents said their I Do`s in traditional catholic ceremonies in Havana, Cuba in the late fifties. Nanny Waterfall even looked a little bit like Jackie O if I do say so myself! Then, a little thing called La Revolucion happened and marriage was pretty much secularized for years to come. After that, almost everyone got married at the same city hall and that was about all folks! Some people still went ahead with religious ceremonies, but it was definitely rare.

Mami and Papi Waterfall followed suit in the 80`s by tying the knot at City Hall in a civil ceremony that was planned in less than 10 days. She wore a lovely lace gown, he wore a powder blue suit complete with ruffles (I really wish I were joking).

It`s no surprise then, that growing up, the pictures that mesmerized me were not the ones of my parents' civil ceremony, but the stunning black and white photographs of my grandparents' elegant church weddings.

Did you have a wedding vision as a little girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment