Skin

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Falling for You: This I Promise You


If you've been following along for a while, you know we decided not to do personal vows during our ceremony for many reasons. Instead, we decided to say a few nice words to eachother in our toasts. Mr. Waterfall went first, and my heart was beating right out of my chest. 
Isn't he dreamy?
Obviously, first of all, thank you everyone for coming. [In French]: I'll be the first one to speak French, thanks to my family for coming. [In Spanish]: Thank you all for coming. [In English]: First of all, what a great party, I assume everyone here is having a good time? We haven't quite done the rounds of every table yet, but we'll get to you guys, don't worry about it [we didn't]. I couldn`t be happier! I`m so proud to be married to my beautiful wife. It doesn't feel strange for me to say it because I've been calling her my wife for a long time now, but now it's official and other people are going to start doing it, so that's gonna be weird!
I can`t wait to continue my life with Mrs. Waterfall, as this day represents not the first day, not the last day, but one  day in the middle of our life together. Definitely a highlight, and an important moment, and one of the best days, but neither the first nor last day we will have together. We`ve been together ten years this summer. It seems like a really long time time when you think about it, and we`ve been through a lot. When you consider that we started dating at 17, we went through College, University,we both got our first jobs, started our careers, moved out of our parents` homes, moved in together and finally started to get our lives on track. All of that in just ten years...We`ve grown up a lot, and had a lot of important moments together. But ten years isn`t long, especially when you consider that, if all goes as planned, we could have another 50 years together [at which point my dad yelled out "Only fifty???"].

In 50 years, it will be the year 2063, we`ll be 77 years old, celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. I can only imagine all of the things we`ll get do together in fifty years; Buying a house, promotions at work, moving forward in our careers, pets, children, and even grandchildren after that. I can`t wait. I look forward to doing it all with you. [At this point one of Mr. W's friends yelled out "Alllll the babies!", and everyone started cheering]

The future can be so bright together and I know it`ll make the last ten years look like a drop in the bucket. I can`t wait to live out that life one day at a time and one day look back at everything we`ll have done together and be so proud. Mrs. Waterfall, you`re someone I can laugh with, have fun, play games with, but also someone to be serious with, to tell my secrets to. You take care of me when I`m sick, and I`ll take care of you --as now everyone knows. We will share all of our happy moments in life, and our sad ones.

Vamos a cuidarnos juntos para siempre, y estar felices cada dia. Yo quiero darte todo que yo puedo, porque tu no pides ninguna cosa. Te prometo ser buen hombre, buen esposo, y buen padre para nuestros hijos. Eres la mas hermosa persona que yo conozco en mi vida, y te amo mi esposa. (We're gonna take care of one another for ever, and be happy each day. I want to give you everything that I can, because you don't ask for anything. I promise to be a good man, a good husband, and a good father to our children. You are the most beautiful person I've met in my life, and I love you, my wife).

When he started speaking in Spanish, I lost it, it was just so lovely and unexpected! In our weddng video, you can actually hear the crowd go nuts at that point.
Mr. Waterfall has always had a way with words, and his speech was no exception! It was definitely a tearjerker and I absolutely loved it. After a quick kiss, it was my turn.
Okay, well, I also said I wasn't going to cry, but it's gonna be hard because this one already has me going, so I apologize in advance. I want to first of all thank my family, especially my parents: for giving me everything; for supporting me and sustaining me in my hardest moments, while still giving me the confidence to stand alone. You have made me into the woman that I am today, and I hope I`ve made you proud.

To my bridal party, I can`t say thank you enough for putting up with my rants about the wedding for almost two years  now, and for never once calling me brizella -- to my face! ;) You know, this isn`t the first wedding we`ve planned together, as MOH Long Legs said before. After marrying, divorcing and remarrying our Barbies at least 20 times, I figured you`d be pretty good at this, and I wasn`t wrong.  In all seriousness, there is a reason I`ve chosen you to stand beside me today;  you three women have been more instrumental than you know in shaping me as a person and I love you like the sisters that I never had.
To everyone here: thank you for helping us celebrate. This day has been everything I could have ever wanted and more, and not because of how great everything turned out, but because I got to marry my favourite person in the whole entire universe. I know Tequila was the best man tonight, but I'm sorry, Mr. Waterfall, you are the best man EVER, and I`m so proud to be your wife. 
I promise to love you, I promise to pick you up when you`re down and laugh with you when you`re happy. I promise to take care of you when you`re sick and make you your mom`s Skilly. I promise that I will never, EVER, watch Game of Thrones without you. I promise not to yell at you when you let C. and R. win at game night even though I'm giving you awesome clues. And I promise not to keep score, even though I`m totally winning, let's be honest ;).
I joke a lot, but we’ve been through so much in the last ten years and we’ve made it through with flying colours because, above all else you are my best friend, my rock, and my soul mate. I know I can always count on you no matter what lies ahead. You are the first person I want to call when something funny or sad or scary happens. You are the person I want to wake up with every day, spend every day with, and come home to. And as most of you may know, I'm a little bit "directionally challenged" but I`m not afraid of getting lost anymore,  because no matter where we end up in the future, I will always know where my home is. It's you...

And with that, we finished the speeches and officially opened up the dance floor for the rest of the evening. Stay tuned!


All photos courtesy of the amazing Bachmann Photography unless otherwise specified
Miss a recap?

No comments:

Post a Comment