Skin

Sunday 3 November 2013

Falling For You: Pretty Women

After starting the day off with copious amounts of chocolaty goodness, we piled all of our wedding crap stuff into my car and drove the five blocks to our hotel, where Mr. Waterfall and the guys were already getting ready.

We checked into the amazing Cannes suite and were pleased to discover that our flowers had already been delivered and were waiting for us in my room. Wasting no time, we started chilling the bubbly and playing some Gavin Degraw on my iPod. I had a glorious shower in the suite's luxurious bathroom and started setting up before the arrival of our photographers, videographer and hair/makeup artist at 2:00 p.m.

I never posted about my hair and makeup plans until now, the reason being that it was something that got left until the very last second. You see, I'm extremely picky about my hair and makeup, but I knew that I definitely didn't want to do my own on such a high-stakes occasion. I kept putting off booking a hair and makeup artist due to a few disappointing mini-trials at wedding expos. After getting sick, I had to put wedding planning on hold for a few months, and before I knew it, I was three weeks away from my wedding with no hair and makeup artist! By that time, most places were already booked. Thankfully, I  was able to book Alexandra from Kat et Lea in a pinch, based on Mrs. Mongoose's recommendation, but there was no time for a trial. It was all I could do to send her a few inspiration pictures and hope for the best.

As for my ladies, I had asked them if they wanted to get their hair and makeup done professionally many months before the wedding, but they all said they would prefer doing their own. Obviously, I had envisioned all of us getting ready together, but since Mr. W and I couldn't afford to pay for everyone, I didn't push it. Well, BM Tiny and MOH Long Legs changed their minds at the last minute and booked their own hair appointments at different salons. I'm not going to dwell too much on this, but it did upset me quite a bit that I wasn't able to enjoy this experience with my bridesmaids the way I had always imagined. If getting ready with your bridesmaids is really important to you, I encourage you to be vocal about it. In hindsight, I really wish I had pushed harder for all of us to get ready together. That being said, I had so much fun getting ready with BM Green Eyes and Girlfriend C that I really can't complain too much!
Girlfriend C and BM Green Eyes getting ready
Before long, the suite was buzzing with activity as we were joined by my parents, our photographers, my MUA, and MOH Long Legs, back from her hair appointment.
I had asked for a romantic half-updo with soft, cascading curls, so Alexandra started off by curling my hair. This is where I can't stress the importance of a trial enough; my hair is naturally very curly, so it holds a curl really well. I kept expressing concern about how tight the curls were, and she kept reassuring me that they would relax naturally. Well, my hair most definitely did NOT relax, and neither did I. If you're on the fence about a trial, HAVE ONE. A trial is not only important for you, it's also a great way for your stylist to familiarize themselves with your hair before the wedding.
While my curls set, Alexandra moved on to my makeup. The look I wanted was me, only better. Kat et Lea pride themselves on natural looking makeup, and that's definitely what I got!
 
If I'm being 100% honest though, I feel like maybe I should have asked for a little extra color to warm me up, since I was very pale from being sick for so long. Had I had a trial, I would have probably been much happier with the end result. Let's just say that I intentionally rocked the Snow White look and call it a day, shall we?

One thing I do not regret in the least was paying extra for false eyelashes. I'm already blessed with fairly long, thick eyelashes, but the falsies really made my eyes pop, while still looking quite natural. Almost every single person commented on how big and pretty my eyes looked, and they never knew the difference! You can see my natural lashes in the photo above, and the falsies below.
While Alexandra was working her magic on me, MOH Long Legs and BM Green Eyes were getting dressed and putting the finishing touches on their makeup. At one point, I heard everyone in the room gasp in horror, so I started freaking out, asking what was wrong because I couldn't look. Everyone reassured me that everything was fine, and told me to relax and have more champagne, so I did.
It was only months later, while viewing my video footage, that I discovered the truth: My MOH had actually spilled an entire bottle of foundation all down the front of her dress and ended up having to wash it in the bathroom sink and dry it with the tiny, hotel hair dryer! And I never even found out! Thank goodness for chiffon... and for amazing friends who knew better than to let me know what was really going on!
MOH Long Legs and BM Green Eyes, partners in crime.
After Alexandra put the finishing touches on my look...
...it was finally time for me too see myself in the mirror for the first time and put on my crystal headband. I opted for a headband instead of a tiara because, like Blair Waldorf, I totally love rocking a headband as my signature look.
Despite being a litigation attorney, I'm the least vocal person ever when it comes to hair stylists. Like, I would rather live with a terrible haircut than risk insulting a hairdresser's work... So, I enlisted my bridesmaids to be my advocates; since they know me best, I knew they wouldn't let Alexandra walk out until I was completely satisfied with my look.
MOH Long Legs gives me an approving smile. 
I'm so thankful that I asked my girls to back me up. Since I didn't have a trial, it did take a few adjustments for me to be completely happy with my hair. The entire time, Mami Waterfall just kept telling me that I should just leave it, because it was "good enough", but I insisted that I was paying a lot of money for this, and I wanted it to be perfect. I wonder where I get the whole pushover thing when it comes to stylists? ;)
I asked BM Green Eyes to take a picture of my hair so I could see the back...
And had the whole "I'm getting married" moment with my maid of honour that I wasn't able to have that morning...

And I knew there was nothing left to do but put on my wedding dress!

Is anybody else afraid to tell hairstylists what they really think?
All photos courtesy of the amazing Bachmann Photography unless otherwise specified.

 
Miss a recap?

No comments:

Post a Comment