Skin

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Against All Odds

Hive, sometimes life gets a little bit in the way of wedding planning like, say, when Aunt Flo decides to show up right before your first wedding gown fitting. Annoying? Sure. Detrimental? Hardly. But sometimes, life gets A LOT in the way of wedding planning, like when a family member falls suddenly ill before the wedding. For a long time, I fell  somewhere in the middle.
If you recall, I had a tiny (ok- HUGE) panic attack a after realizing that we were quite far behind on our wedding to-do list. But this bee was determined to catch up in no time. Life, it seems, had other plans. All of  a sudden, Murphy’s law seemed to be going to town on this wedding! Here are some things that made wedding planning less than ideal:
  • Vendor 1, meeting cancelled by me. Reason: I got mugged on the way to the meeting.
  • Vendor 2, meeting rescheduled by vendor. Reason: Family emergency.
  • Vendor 3, late for meeting. Reason: My car would not start.
  • Vendor 4, meeting cancelled by me. Reason: Subway broke down, held captive in subway car for TWO HOURS.
  • Vendor 2 (again): meeting almost didn’t happen. Reason: Car would not start (again).
  • Vendor 1 (again), meeting cancelled by vendor. Reason: Weather too bad to drive (Oh Canada…).
As you can tell, none of these occurrences was too bad by itself (except for the mugging), but there came a point where I just wanted to throw my hands up in the air and scream to the Universe Are you effing kidding me with this?!?!
It’s a good thing I don’t believe in omens, or I would be tempted to think that this wedding is cursed. But, we continued forging ahead, albeit slowly, very slowly. I told myself: What’s the worst that can happen? We just won’t have any flowers. Or a cake. Or, you know, any video evidence that there was indeed a wedding. Whatever, totally NOT a big deal. Sorta. I guess. The point is, it will all be OK. Things will get done, eventually. And every time we succeeded in finally checking something off the list, I smiled with the satisfaction of having bitch-slapped the Universe right in the face. How do you like me now, Universe?
Do you ever feel like you’re struggling to get things done?

No comments:

Post a Comment