Skin

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Tulle be or not Tulle be...


...that is the question...which Mr. Waterfall and I have debated way too much over the course of our engagement. Guys, this is much worse than the Great Chiavari Battle of 2012!

Remember my wedding vision that I've had since I was a little girl? Yeah, that one. It didn't include satin or taffeta, it included tulle, layers upon layers of tulle. And while most of my wedding vision has evolved beyond my five-year old self, that particular element has remained constant. Sure, I can appreciate the beauty of lace, chiffon and organza, but I dream of tulle!

One small problem: Mr. W's vision did NOT include tulle, at all. As in, he hates tulle as much as he hates chiavaris! Maybe more!

I realize that I'm the bride and the dress should really be about me and what I want and what makes me feel beautiful... At least that's what every bridal consultant would have me believe... But Mr. Waterfall's opinion matters to me! I've dreamed of his reaction when he first sees me coming down the aisle, and ideally, it would look like this:
image via Michelle Newell Photography
via Joie Lala Photography

I definitely don't want the look on his face to be anything like this:


images via via gifsforum.com
Am I exaggerating? Probably.


Have I seen that expression on Mr.B`s face before? Yes, when I showed him my dream dress, the Sherbert Lazaro: 


image via Lazaro bridal

I know, right? What is wrong with boys` taste sometimes? What is there to hate? Well, according to the Mister, it looks like netting and it`s way too poofy. He might as well have stabbed me and my dream of tulle right in the heart! This dress is so freakin`gorgeous! And while it wasn`t exactly affordable, it represented everything I wanted in a dress: layers of soft tulle, a beautiful sweetheart neckline, and a beaded sash around the waist.



I really wanted to take Mr. Waterfall`s opinion into account, but it would just be sooo much easier if he liked the things I like. So, I did what every (ir)rational bride would do: I became increasingly obsessed with the idea that he would hate whatever dress I chose and that I would not get the perfect first look reaction I had been dreaming of. I even cried about it a few times and even had a nightmare where he took one look at me coming down the aisle and ran out of the church...



Spoiler alert: I did end up getting a tulle dress, and Mr. W has been warned, so he can wrap his mind around the tulle. I wanted so badly to pick something he would love; I even tried on satin (Mr. Waterfall`s fabric of choice), but nothing made me light up like tulle. We talked about it, and ultimately, he just wants me to be happy and love whatever dress I`m in, and he will love it regardless, because I`ll be the one wearing it (his words, isn`t he the sweetest?).


Did your groom`s opinion influence your dress choice? What fabric are you most partial to?

No comments:

Post a Comment