Skin

Thursday 20 February 2014

Falling for You: Daddy's Little Girl

I've already mentioned that my dad and I share a special bondso we were both really looking forward to the traditional father-daughter moments, like him walking me down the aisle. A few months before the wedding, my dad told me how excited he was to speak at the wedding. My mom is really shy and hates speaking in public, so she let my dad do his thing while she looked on proudly. 

Hello everyone. Thanks for being here and sharing this important moment with me and my wife and our family. October XX 1985 was one of the happiest days of my life; it was  the birth of our beloved Mrs Waterfall. From that day, a lifetime contract started and there is no possibility of resiliation whatsoever!
I love that my dad threw in some legal humor for me!
We have always tried to teach our daughter what is good in this world and I think we succeeded. She has grown into this beautiful woman that she is today, making us so proud of her. You know your mom and I love you really deeply... So much! And we wish you lifelong happiness with Mr. Waterfall. Let me tell you a story: that guy is a smart one. When he started dating my daughter ten and a half years ago...I don't know how, he found out to do things the Cuban way... So, he met with me in our den at our house to ask for my permission to date my daughter! How cool is that? 
At that very same moment, we adopted him, so he's been a part of our family ever since, and we love him very much. Mr. Waterfall, you know that. So, we really wish you a lot of happiness in the new life that you're starting together. This love foundation that you have is really the beginning of everything. Love conquers all and I really think that you will conquer everything.
A little side note though. This was a really hard year for all of us. I don't want to go into a lot of detail but unfortunately, fate hit us very hard this year and our lovely Mrs. Waterfall was very sick. We are so proud that she met Mr. Waterfall because he was there all the time and it was really a hard test for him; but he really aced the test. We wish you all the best, my love to both of you.
After dinner, it was time for our father-daughter dance. My dad had been dreaming about waltzing with me at my quinceanera since I was a baby, but since I never ended up having one, we never got to have our dance. For this reason, I really wanted the father-daughter dance at the wedding to be special. I asked Mr. Waterfall if he wanted to dance with his mom, and he didn't, so I set out to look for a perfect song that was all about the special bond between a dad and his daughter. Surprisingly, this wasn't easy because I didn't want something that was overdone. My dad suggested Butterfly Kisses, and while it's a lovely song, I kind of wanted something a bit more unique (and a lot less country). Meanwhile, my grandmother was pushing hard for a song in Spanish, which significantly narrowed down our choices. 

I finally found Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman, and I knew it would be perfect for us. My dad actually taught me how to dance when I was a little girl, and we always watched Disney movies together, so the lyrics really hit close to home. We didn't even practice once, but I thought we did a fabulous job, even though my poor dad was so scared of stepping on my dress. I pretty much cried through the entire thing! Feel free to listen along. You might want to get your tissues ready.

Cinderella (Bonus) by Steven Curtis Chapman - www.musicasparabaixar.org on Grooveshark
 She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays

Without a care in the world

And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

 It's been a long day
And there's still work to do

She's pulling at me

Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?
"
 So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew

Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

 She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress

She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away

And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

 So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew

Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand

Just glowing and telling us all they had planned

She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew

Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone 

At this point, my dad started spinning me around and around, like he used to when I was little, and my dress picked up and started spinning too and everyone started going crazy.There wasn't a dry eye in the house! Even Mr. Waterfall said he cried a little bit!
We had initially told the DJ to stop the song at the halfway point, but I guess he decided to play the whole thing because everyone was seemed to be enjoying it so much!
When the music finally stopped, I caught a glimpse of my grandfather, and he was sobbing in his chair. I don't think I'd ever seen my grandpa cry before, so naturally, I lost it too. I'm so thankful that my photographers captured the moment! The video is also really priceless if you'd like to check it out!
Father Daughter Dance from Mrs.Waterfall on Vimeo/ Footage courtesy of Cinemomento / Video edit by Mrs. Waterfall
I know we're not professional ballroom dancers or anything like that, but dancing with my dad at my wedding is definitely one of my favorite moments from the day, and a memory that I will cherish for as long as I live. What song did you choose for your father-daughter dance?

All photos courtesy of the amazing Bachmann Photography unless otherwise specified

Miss a recap?

No comments:

Post a Comment