Skin

Thursday 1 August 2013

Programmer's Children Have No Websites


You know the saying “Cobbler’s children have no shoes”? Well, Mami and Papi Waterfall are both computer programmers, but I have zero skillz. I knew early on that I wanted a wedding website to relay much-needed information to our guests, but had no idea how to go about it. Mami W actually volunteered to make our wedding website for us, but she already had a lot on her plate, so I decided to see what I could manage on my own. I fell in love with Mrs. Wallaby and Mrs. Camel’s amazing wedding websites using Wix, so I gave it a try and failed. I was overwhelmed by their customization options and quickly gave up. When I say I have zero skillz, I mean it. ZERO. I knew I had to look for something even more fool-proof.
someecards.com - I hope your marriage sucks less than your wedding website.
image via someecards.com
Thankfully, the Hive is such a great resource for reviews that I was able to quickly form a decent list of contenders. After checking out a few different websites, I finally settled on Weddingwire. Some of the most important criteria for me was that it had to be free (because I’m cheap, we’ve established this) and also have the ability to RSVP online because I wanted to make responding as easy and convenient as possible for our guests.  

I’m really glad I found Weddingwire because it offers so much more than just a wedding website. It doesn’t just track RSVP’s and gifts, it also provides several other useful tools like a checklist and budget tracker! There is also an app that you can download that automatically syncs to your phone, so you can update your information on the go. Before I show you my site, I have to warn you - it’s very simple and no frills, but I just needed to get a way to relay essential information to our guests in a way that didn’t ruin my budget or the planet, and was somewhat esthetically pleasing. We also chose a few of our favourite songs for the website, so feel free to listen along!
Ho Hey by The Lumineers on Grooveshark 

Home by Phillip Phillips on Grooveshark





Tethered by Sleeping at Last on Grooveshark


So, let's say you're a guest at the Waterfall wedding. You enter the address into your browser and are greeted by our homepage: 


Once inside, there were several tabs, as you can see. Many of our guests were travelling from out of town, so I wanted to make it easy on them to find information about the airport, the block of rooms we had reserved, and things to do while visiting.


We also included a page with information about our honeymoon registry and a link to our honeyfund account.
I also built a wedding map using WeddingMapper and embedded it on our website. I really recommend using weddingmapper! You can have as many locations as you want, and unlike google maps, it allows you to put different markers for each thing. In this example, you can see the ceremony, reception and hotel locations, as well as our home. I left the map this way on purpose since everything is so close, I didn't want it to look too busy or confusing. You could also add your rehersal dinner location or any special sight-seeing recommendations and places to eat for your guests!


Of course, you could also RSVP online, which I will explain in detail in another post!
 
Did you create a wedding website?

* All photos personal unless otherwise specified

No comments:

Post a Comment