Skin

Friday 16 August 2013

Pretty in Pink

I had been looking forward to my bridal shower as long as I had been engaged, but with my worsening health, and the fact that my bridesmaids were spread out in Montreal, Toronto and Miami, it was looking more and more like I might not have one at all. I didn't really want much, just to wear cute dresses and sit around drinking champagne, eating my favorite finger sandwiches and playing some silly games. While I don't want to dwell too much, this was a really sad time for me. I felt really melancholic whenever I read fellow bees' accounts of their showers because it was becoming increasingly obvious that nobody had thought to plan one for me. BM Green Eyes had already made it very clear that she would not be flying up from Florida until two days before the wedding, and BM Tiny had also booked a vacation to Florida and was only set to return two days before the wedding.

Well, one day I opened my email to find this little cutie, which read:
evite via punchbowl.com
Pretty in Pink !
Hi Miss Waterfall,

We welcome the pleasure of your company at the Pretty in Pink Bridal Shower celebrated in your honor. On this lovely day, we hope you enjoy every single second and we encourage you take a moment to really appreciate all the little things (and the people you hold most dear to your heart) that make your life that much more special. But most importantly, think of that one person who knows you better than anyone, who understands your every word, and who will shower you with infinite love and care for years to come....yes..?..you got it..your perfect man, Mr. Waterfall. So come join us at this wonderful and well anticipated event just for you...before you become a bride, before you throw the bouquet, before you walk down the aisle, before the BIG DAY!

We cannot wait to see you there beautiful as ever!

Love you always,
BM Tiny, BM Green Eyes, MOH Long Legs
Guests received this slightly modified version of the e-vite
They planned the shower on a long weekend, and MOH Long Legs drove up from Toronto with her mom, who's like a second mommy to me on the Friday. On Saturday, we all drove together to my final fitting at DB in Vermont so Long Legs could learn how to attach my bustle. The shower was set for Sunday afternoon, but unfortunately, we got in at 1 am, so Long Legs and Tiny had to get up really early to set everything up at my parents' house, with a lot of help from Mami Waterfall, Mommy Long Legs, and my aunt, BM Tiny's mom. When I arrived, I was greeted by many friendly faces, and lots of adorable pink touches everywhere. BM Tiny came up with the theme "Pretty in Pink" after I decided to wear my favorite pink lace dress that I had purchased from H&M last summer. I would have loved to wear white to all bridal events, but I just didn't have enough white dresses, and hadn't found any that I liked while shopping. So pink it was!
I gotta say, even though my girls had never done this before, they pulled it off! They thought of so many adorable touches! MOH and Mommy Long Legs stayed up for hours baking and made these adorable cupcake topiaries while Auntie and BM Tiny made me a lovely towel cake.
The food was delicious and I know how hard they worked making it all. It really does take a village! They even had my favorite finger sandwiches, and little "bride" favor boxes filled with Godiva chocolates.
MOH Long Legs, Miss Waterfall, BM Tiny
It wasn't until a few minutes in that I noticed a giant, floating head on the television. Papi Waterfall had actually Skype'd in BM Green Eyes from Miami!
It felt so nice to be surrounded by the people I love that it made me forget all about my health issues for an afternoon!
With Mami Waterfall
With BM Tiny and her momma, Auntie Tiny
We started off by playing a few shower games like "How well do you know the bride" and a sort of newlywed game where I had to match my answers to Mr. Waterfall's (BM Tiny had emailed him a list of questions beforehand). One thing about Mr. Waterfall and me is that we're both really competitive and really into board games. For some reason, our answers were quite different any time it was a 50/50 choice. The funny thing is that at the time, I actually thought that Mr. W had switched some answers around to trip me up,so I got a bit mad that he cheated to make me look bad! As it turns out, he did no such thing and when I asked him about it that night, he simply replied "I guess you know me better than I know myself!" So sweet, I can't even! At any rate, it was really funny, and Lil Waterfall and MIL Waterfall definitely got a kick out of that one! Seriously though guys, game night at the Waterfall house is like a blood sport - I'm talking The Hunger Games kind of bloody, win or die. True story.
MIL Waterfall, Lil Waterfall, Miss Waterfall
MOH Long Legs and BM Tiny running the show
The only game we didn't play that I really wish we had was the toilet paper dress game, but by this point people were starting to get antsy, so the girls decided to skip it and start opening presents. Bummer. Now, I know a lot of brides dread having to open the presents in front of everyone,  but as a gift giver, I love watching people open presents after spending so much time picking them out, so I was happy to oblige by opening everyone's gifts!
Lil Waterfall was my little helper and would grab each present from the pile and save all my bows for my rehearsal bouquet, while MOH Long Legs jotted down who each gift was from.
I got a variety of things, from lingerie to cute things for the honeymoon and some house wares. 
 
For those of you that are wondering how much of your registry will get bought up, I only got one gift from our registry at the shower, these amazing With Love by Vera Wang toasting flutes that I loved but couldn't justify buying for myself.
MIL Waterfall also surprised me by gifting us with a lovely cake cutting set, engraved with our names and wedding date.
 
Another cute thing the girls came up with was an advice jar. They decorated a glass jar and asked guests to write me little pieces of advice, or well wishes, or anything else that they wanted. I would then open the jar on the morning of the wedding while we were getting ready. Super adorable, right?
After a while, people started to leave and the shower drew to the close. With only my bridal party and family around, we got goofy and enjoyed some leftover food and champagne. It was so much fun to feel so much love all around me!
BM Tiny, MOH Long Legs and Lil Waterfall
I also took some time to snuggle with my favorite puppy.
Simba!
And just when I thought we were done, BM Tiny brought out a pink envelope and explained that it was a letter from Mr. Waterfall. With all my favourite women crowding around me, I started to read it aloud and broke down in about two seconds. Mr. W. was feeling really shy when BM Tiny asked him to write me a letter, so he felt like it was not his best work, but I loved it. All the emotions I had been feeling that weekend just came bubbling up and had nowhere to go but out my eyeballs. Soon, MOH Long Legs took over reading it out loud and it wasn't long until we were all sobbing together. I was getting married!
Hi Miss Waterfall,
I'm sorry that I couldn't be with you today, but I'm sure that you're having lots of fun. All you wanted was the fun little games, and champagne, and to have a lovely shower, and I'm sure that's what you got. I'll be waiting patiently for you at home, and I love you. I'm not surprised that you love the games, we both love to play! That's one of the things that I love about you, that we play, have fun, and can be friends. I know that the rest of our life together is going to be filled with laughs, and fun, and friends. I can't wait for the big finale in just a few short weeks, you're going to be so beautiful, and I promise to be a good husband to you. I'll never stop loving you,
-Mr. Waterfall
It was right around that time that Papi Waterfall and Brother GM came home from doing...whatever it is that boys do, and were quite surprised to find us all in tears, hugging one another. They really didn't understand what was wrong!

Anybody have a shower coming up?

* All photos personal, courtesy of BM Tiny and Mami Waterfall

No comments:

Post a Comment