Skin

Monday 12 August 2013

Oh Shit!

Do your friends have a joke about you that goes "pulling a [insert name here]"? Well, in my circle of friends, "pulling a Miss Waterfall" means being overly responsible/ prepared/ acting like an adult, like, for instance refusing to go out on a Friday night because I should really get a jump on my law school readings, seriously guys, this pretty much sums up my life:



I'm always prepared for anything and everything. My purse weighs a ton because I carry so much needless crap on a daily basis, just in case I need it... tampons, Advil, Kleenex, extra shoes, umbrellas, books, other books in case I don't feel like reading the original book, you get the idea. In fact, I almost picked the Rucksack icon because it reminded me of Dora's backpack and how she also seems to have everything she could possibly need in there.

Bathroom baskets and an emergency kit were a no-brainer for me, even though the cost can be slightly prohibitive. If I were truly frugal, I would have started stockpiling the basics a few months in advance, whenever good deals came up, but I didn't, so I spent a whole day running around stores gathering all the supplies and assembling the baskets and kit the week before my wedding. Live and learn guys!

I got home, dumped my goodies on the ground and proceeded to text this picture to MOH Long Legs, to which she replied "This seems excessive, even for you".

Now, keep in mind that this was for two bathroom baskets and an emergency kit, so I'm not that crazy, right? For the Emergency Kit, I included:


  • Tissues/ Baby wipes/ Makeup removing wipes/ Q-tips/ Cotton pads/ Eye makeup remover
  • Pads/ Tampons/ Panty Liners/ Intimate wipes
  • Hair Spray/ Brush/ Combs/ Bobby Pins/ Hair elastics
  • Band-Aids
  • Mouthwash/ Floss/ Gum/ Toothpaste/ Travel toothbrushes
  • Tide-To Go pen/ Lint roller
  • Safety Pins (including two jumbo in case my bustle broke)/ Travel sewing Kit with white,  black, grey and blue thread/ Buttons
  •  Stick on snaps, for making sure strapless dresses stuck to the bras
  • Advil/ Alka- Seltzer/ Fisherman's Friend/ Allergy Medication/ Visene/ Gravol/ Immodium
  • Deodorant
  • Purell
  • Nail Clippers/ Nail file/ Tiny scissors
  • Crazy Glue
  • Lotion/ baby powder
  • Lanacane anti-chafing gel (seriously, best stuff EVER to prevent chafing under the dress!)
  • A spare buckle for my shoes
  • Liquid courage (tiny bottle of rum for me/ scotch for Mr. W)

  • Things I wish I thought of including in the kit:
  • A sample of my wedding perfume
  • Extra Makeup for touch-ups, I always carry extra makeup, but since I paid to have it done professionally, it slipped my mind. I could have used a touch up later on.
  • Disposable razors. BM Green Eyes forgot her razor the morning of the wedding, but thankfully the front desk at the hotel was able to send one up for us.

  • Everyone made fun of me for being so thorough, but we used the emergency kit SO MUCH!. I probably went overboard with all the medicine, but I wanted to be prepared for any situation, because you never know how stress is going to affect you! And it was so comforting knowing that if anything went wrong, we were covered. For example, within minutes of arriving at the hotel, my father had somehow managed to break my adorable bridal hanger, had I not had crazy glue with me, I might have been forced to murder him on the spot, thankfully, all were spared thanks to the Kit. We also had to break out the needle and thread on a few occasions and I spilled brown bordelaise sauce all down the front of my dress at the reception, but thanks to the Oops stain remover, it was out in seconds!

    While we were getting ready, the running joke in the room was that somebody would ask if anybody had [insert random thing nobody else thought of] to which everyone would roll their eyes and answer "check the kit!" in unison. Mission accomplished :D

    After we left the hotel, BM Green Eyes was in charge of the Kit, we kept it in the limo during the ceremony and pictures and then stashed in the Bridal Suite at the venue. If you don't have it in your budget to do bathroom baskets, I strongly recommend at least doing an emergency kit.  You probably have many of the supplies already, and a lot of it can be repurposed for the honeymoon. If you don't want to include as much as me, I would prioritize the hygiene products (both feminine and oral), sewing kit and crazy glue because those got the most use for us. Also, I really liked that the bag was clear with handles, it made it easier to search for what you needed, and the handles made transport a breeze.

    What weird stuff did you include in your kit?

    *All photos personal 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment