Skin

Sunday 14 July 2013

Something Borrowed

I knew for a long time that my rings would be my something old and something new, and I've already shared my something blue with you. What I didn't share is the fact that they weren't the original something blue. You see, back in October, I received the most amazing wirthday present*, from none other than Mr. Waterfall: The most amazing sapphire and diamond earrings!!! 

*Wirthday gift: term coined by Miss Sword for a present that doubles as a birthday AND wedding gift!

Personal photo
You probably already figured out that these are actually modeled after Kate Middleton`s sapphire earrings that used to belong to Lady Di. And we all know that they both have FABULOUS taste...
image via The Natural Sapphire Co
I guess Mr. Waterfall picked up on the fact that the week before my birthday, I had been relentlessly browsing the Net for blue earrings for the wedding, and gifted me these beauties to wear as my "something blue" on our wedding day. When I opened up the box and the light bounced off all the little diamonds, my heart did a few somersaults (Yes Marylin, diamonds ARE a girl`s best friend, sorry MOH Long Legs/ BM Green Eyes/ BM Tiny). I was so pleasantly surprised! My man did good y'all! They wre just so dainty, and elegant and perfect. I knew instantly that I would be donning them on my walk down the aisle as my something blue.
Personal photo


I loved them so much in fact that I couldn`t resist wearing them to work the very next day, where I stopped to check them out in the mirror every time I used the washroom (while singing I feel pretty, oh so pretty to myself over and over again). But alas, this story does not have a happy ending, I stupidly decided to wear them just one more time before the wedding as a good luck charm for my very first trial, and was crushed to discover one of them missing when I got home that night :( Bees, please learn from my mistake and wait until the wedding to bust out your jewelry! Trust me, you`ll save yourself the heartache of having to see your fiancé face when you tell him that you won`t be able to wear the lovely earrings that he spent a small fortune on because you lost them. 
After many tears and calls to the Courthouse lost and found, I cut my losses. My bridal shoes proved to be a suitable something blue alternative, but I still needed something borrowed, and some new earrings. I tried many cheap earrings at the mall, I even purchased a pair at David`s Bridal, but none of them felt quite right… until I remembered a certain pair of sparkly earrings that I had been admiring since I was a little girl...
Mami Waterfall`s wedding diamond earrings! / personal photo
Mami Waterfall wore these earrings for her Quinceañera and again when she married Papi Waterfall! It didn`t take much convincing for her agree to lend them to me for a day, and after some toothpaste and TLC they were good as new! I did notice a small stone missing the night before, but it wasn't noticeable in real life.



In the end, Mami W's earrings worked perfectly with my ring, and I loved wearing a little something from my parent`s wedding for my own. 

What was your something borrowed?

No comments:

Post a Comment