Skin

Tuesday 18 December 2012

Happy Feet

Hi. My name is Miss Waterfall and I`m a shoe-aholic.

Yes, it`s true. I have a bit of a footwear substance-abuse-problem (But I can stop any time I want!). I blame HBO and little miss Carrie Bradshaw for brainwashing me into this whole mess. 
image via It's Geek Chic!
My personal favorite, Carrie`s blue wedding Manolos:
image via Bergdorf Goodman
Anywhoo, yes, I admit it. I have a lot of shoes.

A. LOT.
OF. SHOES.


Some of my shoes, personal photo
Over the last few years I`ve amassed quite the collection. But it`s not my fault, seriously. We have to deal with serious weather issues up here in Canada, we have to be prepared for all four seasons! You need cute strappy sandals for summer and adorable Wellies for spring showers. You also need some gorgeous boots for the fall and not-so-gorgeous but practical boots for when sh*t gets really serious (aka winter). I have my sexy clubbing heels and my work appropriate lawyer heels. Then, I have flats for when said heels start to make my feet bleed. Really, these are necessities...

Yes, I love shoes. But they don`t love me back. I pretty much have the worst feet of all time. I have flat feet AND I had to get bunion surgery on both my feet a few years back and ever since then my feet are extremely sensitive. I`ll put on heels and be perfectly fine wearing them for a while and then, all of a sudden, they become incredibly painful and I can`t stand them for another second.

Since I am essentially required to wear heels as part of my everyday work wardrobe, I have designed several ways to get around this problem. I wear flats in the subway because looking fabulous is SO not worth having my feet aching by the time I make it to the office. I also have about 4 or 5 different pairs in my office at any given time so that I can switch them around when one pair starts to hurt; along with some comfy flats stashed under my desk for when nobody`s watching.


But what`s this all got to do with the `Bee?

Why, wedding shoes, of course. After giving it much thought, I decided that my foremost priority in wedding shoes is comfort, and I`m willing to accept it if they`re not the cutest shoes ever because frankly, they`ll be hidden under my dress for most of the day anyway. I just want to be comfortable and happy and not thinking about when I can finally kick them off.


Barefoot, Mr. W and I are roughly the same height (I may be an inch taller, but if I throw on heels, I`m a good 5 inches taller than him). And while I try not to let the height difference bother me normally, I don`t think it will look nice for our wedding photos if I`m towering over him. Therefore, I`ve decided I will stick to a fairly low/kitten heel and maybe get some shoes with added height for Mr. Waterfall to compensate, which most men`s dress shoes already have anyways.   

To top it off, we are getting married in Old Montreal, and it`s recently dawned on me that while cobblestone is gorgeous and romantic, it`s also hell on heels. I tried wearing different types of shoes to church this summer to test them out on the cobblestone and am sorry to report that the experiment was a colossal failure. Not only are there pesky grooves in between each stone, but the actual stones aren’t even flat!

Speaking of flat -- flats are not an option because of my aforementioned flat feet. I cannot wear them for a whole day without getting huge cramps in my arches from lack of support.

So, I turn to the hive for advice! What should I do? I need your help! Has anyone been in a similar shoe pickle?

No comments:

Post a Comment